Where do Building Regulations apply?
19th March 2015
For many people moving home can be a costly experience, as such nowadays property owners tend to either build an extension or convert the existing loft space or garage.
Your home is a major long term investment and is likely to be your biggest asset, as your needs change over time your home will most likely need to be adapted to suit your circumstances.
Here a few useful tips that may help you along the way.
Within England and Wales most construction work is covered by the Building Regulations, these are minimum technical standards set out by Government and all but most minor building work carried out must conform to these standards.
Areas that may require a Building Regulation application include:
- Garage Conversion
- Loft Conversions
- Cellar Conversions
- Structural Alterations
- Alterations to drainage or heating systems
- New or replacement windows and doors
- Replacement roof coverings
- Cavity wall insulation
- New garages
Contact your local authority building control team to find out whether you need building control approval for your project. You can find your local building control offices by searching www.labc.co.uk
Remember these five easy steps, for peace of mind:
- Contact your local authority.
- Free pre-application use this opportunity to ask questions.
- Submit your application.
- A Schedule of inspections on site will usually be agreed following your application.
- A completion Certificate will be issued at the end of the project, by your building control team.
You are welcome to call us if you’re considering alteration to habitable use within your home for a free no obligation estimate for the whole project in hand.